Thursday, February 23, 2017

Em's Tips For Success in the Kitchen Part 2- LUNCHES

Thursday's are a favorite around here and I stoked to share my post with you today!

Few weeks ago I shared my tips for success in the kitchen Part 1. 

Today I am sharing my Part 2: Lunches

AMEN!


Prepping for lunches is a love/hate relationship for me.

A huge part of me DOES NOT care what I eat for lunch. But another part of me realizes how important it is for a busy, full time, working teacher to prep lunches, coffee, breakfast the night before.

So I am here to share the tips I have found that work for me and save me those few extra minutes in the morning!




You could ask Pat and he would 110% agree... I would rather spend 4 extra minutes laying in bed than prepping a lunch or making coffee in the morning.

I am NOT and never will be a morning person.
#lordhelpmychildren

So here we go :)

Grocery shop on Sunday. Make a list. Stick to it.Write down only what you need, not what you want. So many times Pat and I have gone to the grocery store STARVING and we buy so many things we do not need, but were only craving! 



Before you lay down for the night or even relax, PACK THAT LUNCH!!! Trust me your crabby, tired self at 6 am will thank you.



Few things here to discuss. On Sunday after you shop, clean up the fruit and veggies that can withstand time in the fridge. This week, I washed and trimmed our strawberries, so when we wanted them they were accessible and clean to pack!



We like to buy items that are pre packaged and easy to take a long and have a long shelf life. (Guacamole, Keifers, Yogurt, and yes Juice Boxes) Grab it and head out the door!




Pre packing chips and little desserts to lay out as well. 



I also pack individual containers of veggies such as carrots and radishes the night before. The less looking and searching I have to do in the morning the BETTER :)  

Invest in some Pyrex GLASS food storing containers. Now it MUST be glass. Why you ask? Because when you use the microwave at work, you don't have to dirty another bowl or plate. The glass can go in the microwave. We buy ours at...uhhh where else? COSTCO! You can find some HERE!


This size is my ABSOLUTE favorite perfect serving for a lunch!


We have also started to cut back on using plastic baggies and now pack with reuseable containers. We realzied how wasteful just the TWO of us can be on daily and weekly basis! I love the sandwich size ones! You can find some HERE!

This Christmas I invested in these YUMBOXES for Pat and I. Now I feel like I use mine more because I love all the little sections it gives you. When you open it up at lunch its like BAM A BUFFET!! And hey who doesn't like a buffet? My mom tells me all the time as a kid I LOVED Old Country Buffet. 



"You Have to Have options"- Erich Barber 

We have a running joke in my family about "Options" at meals and my brother is the one who created this fabulous saying :) 

Because I am type A..... I make room on the middle shelf of our refrigerator for two separate piles of lunches... One is HIS and One is HERS :) How cheesy right? I do not mind it! 



Now like I have stated above.... me and mornings do not get along and never will. So to make the transition from getting ready to heading out the door, I make sure my breakfast, coffee and water cup are all 1. washed. 2. dried 3. prepped for the following morning. Yes I even put the shake mixture and coffee in the night before. Why? MINUTES PEOPLE! I am telling you if I tallied up how many extra minutes I spent scooping coffee or shake mix, I think I would get back AT LEAST a year of my life..... The little things.

On this day my breakfast was a Shake. Coffee. Then YETI. (I refill mine once at school on a normal day, and the ice lasts until WELL after I get home)


Another MINUTE saver is making sure the water in your Keurig is filled and ready for your coffee. I cannot tell you how many times, I have had to refill it while prepping coffees and it totally throws off my schedule. 



I am down to the minute knowing when I have to leave for work. I need to be in my car by 635, on the road by 638 to make it to school by 715. #iamweird #yesiknow #patstilllovesme


That's all I have for you today! Hopefully a tip or two is going to help make your mornings easier! IT is all about balance people! Use your time wisely and enjoy those extra few minutes with your pillow!

Ill see you back here for FRIDAY FAVORITES tomorrow! YAY for the weekend again!




No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016