Thursday, February 9, 2017

Em's Tips for Success in the kitchen: Part 1


It's Thursday. #bless

The week has gone by fast but still we are busy busy over here!

Today I am sharing my tips for success for meals. Growing up my mom had dinner on the table and 3 kids ready to eat by the time my dad got home. I'm 25, no kids and I'm all over here like HELP ME.



My mom taught me everything I know in the kitchen. Ever since way back when, I can remember helping my mom cook and bake. From stirring the chicken and dumplings to rolling out Kolacky, my mom had us do it all in the kitchen.

I loved to wear an apron just like her and even when I was too short she always let us bring a chair over to stand on.

She is my go to queen for tips in the kitchen, so today I am sharing what I have learned over the years and what I most recently have learned to help meals in your kitchen be a breeze!

1. To begin with make a list. I found this fun notepad that has the days of the week listed on it and I have used it to meal plan for the week. Also on the back is my grocery list. I do this all on one sheet so if I happen to forget or need something else I can look at what I have planned. I do bring a pen/pencil with me to mark off as I throw items into my cart. Why? Because that's the teacher in me!


[ Recipe books out and Weekly planning sheet!]


2. Know your grocery store layout. Some of you are all like whatttttttt. While I'm secretly hoping some of you are all like AMEN.  Ever been to a Mariano's on the weekend? You gotta know what you gotta get and where to get it FAST!! Simple tip to make prepping a breeze!

#iorganizeallmyitemsontheconveyerbelt


3. Relax. Wine and your favorite playlist or like me play an episode of Gilmore girls on your iPad as you cook. Cooking should not be stressful. It would be quite enjoyable, even after a long day at work.



4. Staples. Here are a list of things I always think you should have on hand:

- hidden valley ranch dry seasoning
- fresh butter [ baking requires this FOR SURE]
- brick of cream cheese
- canned tomatoes
- whole grain pasta or rice
- romaine lettuce
- cream of mushroom soup
- onion
-jarred minced garlic (YALL catch my drift on this one) :)
- chicken breasts

















Now some of you might think that list is excessive but trust me I have been SOL more than once in the kitchen and these are all items that come to mind that I had forgot to pick up at the store and either 1. Had to improvise 2. Scratch that nights meal idea.

Check expiration dates of the perishables and keep your pantry stocked with everything else!

5. Costco rotisserie chicken
Raise your hand if you LOVE Costco!!!!!!! ME! Ok so listen no other rotisserie can compare to Costco. A whole cooked chicken for $4.99!!!!! The other grocery stores don't even compare. When you get home let it cool then shred and slice it all! So easy for sandwiches, salads and last minute meals!





6. Clean up as you go..... right mom :)
I learned this from my mother because well we are both messy cooks. We use every bowl, spatula, spoon, and baking tray we can lay our hands on. Put anything used in the sink and move on. Usually when something is simmering or in the oven, I take time to wash my dishes or load the dishwasher. After an amazing meal, the LAST thing I want to do is stand at the sink washing and cleaning up. At the end of our meals we have our plates, silverware and baking dish to clean. That's it. No need to stand there for an hour washing your cutting board and knife you used an hour ago to chop, wash it when done and put it away!


TRUTH!!!!

7. Make enough for leftovers
After a long day the last thing I want to think about is packing lunches. I HATE it. Packing lunches is a sign to me it's time for bed aka time for a wake up for work.

ALSO do not forget I am 25 and make no more than 2 lunches a day.... god bless my children someday. Just putting it out there I am not a fan of making lunches #allthebaggies

So how do I fight this battle? I make enough for leftovers. Now, when Pat and I first started dating, I hated the idea of leftovers. Even as a kid leftovers night was the WORST. Although now, I truly enjoy leftovers. After making my Creamy Sausage Rigatoni Pasta this week, Pat and I both agreed it was better the second day! #winwin





#AMEN


I hope some of my tips will help you when you are cooking in your kitchen! Like the title says this is only Part 1. Next week Part 2: Lunches and Breakfast for the Work Week.

East Coast readers.... enjoy the snow and stay safe! Midwest readers...... STAY WARM!! (I am over the cold)  West Coast readers.....enjoy that you are not in the Midwest or East Coast this week :) 





No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016